Korea Photo Diary: Busan

Thursday, February 19, 2015 Fion Lai 0 Comments



Busan, before I have personally been there, gave me the vague ideas as the second biggest city in South Korea that suffers the typical second-city syndrome that is surrounded with sea and has a lot of good sea food. With my limited knowledge, I embarked on a short 2 days trip with my friend to verify or defy my concepts and doubts of this port city and in general just to satisfy my curiosities. After two and a half hours on the KTX (high-speed train) from Seoul, I found myself in almost another 'Seoul', same were the language, people, buildings ... but the vibe changed. The pace is slower, more relaxed, no one was racing to catch the subway or bolting on the streets as if they were in need for the toilet (exaggerating!!). While Seoul is modern, vibrant and more urbanized, Busan retains the Korean culture, the tradition of the heritage was evidently stronger. 


Where did I go in the short span of time? Being the extremely organized person that I am, we actually visited a lot more than we could have bargained for. The must is unsurprisingly the Gamecheon Cultural Village that has charmed millions of tourists. Abundance of endless rows of low-rise multi-coloured cubicle homes adorn the steep hillsides with arrow stone and concrete alleyways wind their way through the homes and exquisite and creative art sculptures, this is definitely my top 5 must visit spots in Korea. Second to visit in Busan would be Haedong Yonggungsa Temple that is incredulously situated on the coast alone the coast line. Following are Jagalchi fish market, Busan Tower that allows you the panorama of the city sprawl and gwangalli beach with its nightview. Next time I will be spending more time in Busan, definitely more than two days...



Photo Credit: Carol Leong

0 comments: